Saturday, March 19, 2011

26 Feb - 28 Feb, 2011 | Fragrant Harbour | Hong Kong

Hong Kong - the 'fragrant harbour' city characterised by tall skyscrapers, dim-sums and Jackie Chan! Truthfully, I think it is one of the most gorgeous cities in Asia - I love admiring the brightly-lit skyscrapers that adorn Victoria Harbour by night . It is a sight that takes my breath away always.

Afternoon view of Hong Kong...no time to see it by night this trip!

The purpose of this trip was to attend my friends wedding, which you will be able to read in my next blog post. As that event only took up one day, I had approx 1.5 days to cram all the sightseeing, catch up, shopping & eating I wanted to do in this city. Time was ticking!

Lights, Signs, Action @ Causeway Bay


1. Shopping
Unsurprisingly, my number one priority was to get some shopping done. Hong Kong is probably the capital for shopping in Asia, and rightly so. There's a huge variety of international brands at relatively good prices, as well as small local boutiques, local brands that are unique in each way, and cheap! Despite the variety of stores available, I still found myself gravitating towards Zara, H&M, Uniqlo...which can be purchased almost anywhere in the world, except Australia. (My poor fashion deprived country!) Given the strength of the Australian dollar, I shopped in comfort knowing I was going to get a good deal no matter where I went! Also, any trip to Asia is generally a good excuse to go on a spending spree!

Here are some snapshots of the fancy high-end boutiques in Tsim Sha Tsui. No I didn't shop here (H&M is more within my budget) but I enjoyed photographing these stores!

Long queue outside LV! 





Total acquisitions: 2x business shirts from G2000, 2x skirts from Zara, 1x 3/4 sleeve top from Zara, 1x short sleeve top from Zara, 1x handbag from small vendor, 1x dress from Ju's, 1x jacket from H&M, 1x short sleeve top from H&M, 1x long sleeve top from H&M, 1x long sleeve top from Uniqlo, 1x hoodie from Uniqlo &; 1x Ballet Flats from Zara (probably the regret purchase of the trip. They were expensive for HK standards and are actually not that comfortable to walk around in). As you can see, it was a substantial purchase, but imo, not a greedy one either!

2. Sightseeing
My other priority was to try and see one new attraction/scenery/sight in Hong Kong. For someone that has been here around 8 or 9 times, is there more to see in this Island City? The answer is, yes there is most definitely! This time a small group of us took a 30 minute bus ride on those cute little mini-buses from Causeway Bay to Stanley. It was a welcome change having spent the past 2 days commuting between Causeway Bay & Central. The bus ride took us to the other side (South) of Hong Kong Island, where it almost looks deserted except for a few building developments. It was almost unbelievable to think we were still on the same main Island as hectic Central. Since we got to Stanley so early in the morning (10am is early in Asia) we had the pleasure of strolling around Stanley Markets and checking out the small beach and pier before the tour groups descended, and enjoying much needed crisp, fresh air.

At Stanley Beach
Stanley Markets
Pier @ Stanley

Waterfront Restaurants @ Stanley

3. Catch up with Friends 
Traveling to new cities and countries always fills one up with a sense of excitement and adventure, there is no doubt about that. But in the last few years I have definitely enjoyed traveling to places where I know people in the city/country. Somehow it just makes the whole experience more real, and you feel more of a connection to the place even if you only know one soul there. There is always a sense of familiarity when I go to Hong Kong, as I know there are always people there I can catch up with. I guess because of this factor, I will always find myself coming to Hong Kong if the chance arises :)

Mo Bar @ Mandarin Oriental for drinks







4. Eating
Hong Kong is part of Asia and it is simply impossible to go to an Asian city and not eat! Hong Kong is blessed with a high demand of good food, so here are some snapshots!





Hong Kong - I don't know when I will see you again, but I am sure our paths will cross at some point. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...