Thursday, October 21, 2010

19 Sep - 21 Sep | Journey to Sitiawan | Sitiawan, Malaysia

A trip to Malaysia is never ever complete unless we stop by to my mum's home town - Sitiawan. This time round it was a fun family trip down with my mum, brother, aunty and 2 cousins. After a 3 hour bumpy ride down to Sitiawan (thanking Lei Lei & Xien for driving us down), we managed to catch my uncle for a short 5 minutes!! Last time I saw him was 6 years and after saying Hello he disappeared to go to work when he had 2 sisters,1 nephew, 1 niece, 1 son and 1 daughter visiting. I guess we weren't so lucky with timing, but it was still good to catch him for that brief moment.

Driving down to country-side Malaysia
Typical scene - quite a contrast to the hustle and bustle of KL

Welcome to Sitiawan!

Like all my Sitiawan visits, it consists of mainly eating and relaxing in this little kampung. Small town life is bliss. My favourite food is the RM0.60 Roti Canai + malaysian milk tea. It's great to start a day by indulging in this way :) (Not the healthiest, but my visits are always too short to consider health!) Next favourite is devouring the seriously good, fresh seafood and excellent Foo Chow (hok-chew/fuzhou) dishes 福州菜.  As one can tell from the next few pics, we ate a lot!

Noodles 乾拌麵! A daily order! 
 
Roti Canai + others
Foochow cuisine is known for its soupy-ness!

A soup I can only have in Sitiawan
Awesome crabs!
 

Most of our dinners were spent eating at an outdoor coconut planatation restaurant


This time round we stayed at my grand aunt's place; which I have to say was one of my most comfortable Sitiawan stay in a long time! It was also lovely to be in a chatty household with the aunties and uncles. My grand aunt, age 91 this year, is still a busy woman making patch quilts! Amazing.

I only caught up her on camera as she was about to pack up the sewing machine
I love how she uses an antique sewing machine!
We also did some shopping too - but of a completely different kind. See us hard at work at my mum's uncles old shop in search of some buttons. My mum had all of us working hard!

Working hard - like a sweatshop!
After button sorting, we went next door to shop a bit more.
I love the old-school display style of this shop.

I just thought it was fascinating how toys are hung up!
And one of the best parts of the visit, was seeing my 5 year old cousin for the first time! Very cheeky boy.  He looks exactly like my uncle too.


Sitiawan will never really be a town a non-Malaysians will visit, but it certainly has its character and charm. I hope my next visit to Sitiawan/KL/Malaysia will not be another 6 years. Quick, someone organise a wedding again soon! I need to book time in for another visit!

Streetview
Until next time Malaysia & all the coconut trees!


3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:00 PM

    could have written more,..too brief, where are the other pics? mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:09 PM

    Great pics, agreed... need more comments and pics.... should have added some wedding pics too, I love those nyonya clothing. love the trip. Auntie Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for feedback. I might update the post and give it more detail. It was brief compared to my old posts. I didn't realise people liked reading the long ones!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...