Thursday, November 25, 2010

9 Oct | 24 Hours in the Island City | Singapore

We arrived into Singapore early in the morning, and I was glad to find myself in Asia again after the 2 weeks of racing around Europe. After going to all these places, I know my heart belongs in Asia, as I always feel so comforted to land on these soils, no matter which country it may be.

Anyways, mum and I checked ourselves into the same hotel we stayed at 10 years ago. Peninsula-Excelsior which has a fantastic location around Marina Bay. I'm pleased to say the hotel has undergone extensive renovations and the rooms we stayed at was significantly more comfortable than before. The views from the hotel room are quite amazing, and again, quite different to those we saw 10 years ago. How rapid changes happen in Singapore!

View from hotel room of Marina Bay

The obvious new addition to the skyline is the Marina Bay Sands building. I don't know how architects feel about this building? Its definitely futuristic and conceptually intersting. I suppose it fits into the Marina Bay surrounds area given all the futuristic buildings around there.

New building on the block! Marina Bay Sands...
There's a park in the sky



My shocking night photo. Oh well at least I have something!

My one and only decent night photo in Singapore.

After having a brief snooze following our 14 hour long journey (3 movies and 2 TV shows = no sleep on the plane), my mum decided to spend my next 10 hours visiting a few relatives I have not seen in quite some time. All I could think about at the time was lost shopping time...how awful? I am yet to buy all the Asian CDs/Chinese books I was hoping to buy prior to this trip! But I am glad to say all the relative visits were very worthwhile and enjoyable. I wouldn't have traded that for anything else. Shopping can always come later, or done on the internet. Catching up with relatives is priceless, and its astounding to know just how many of my extended family lives in Singapore!

My dad's cousins place in Singapore.
It was always one of my favourite places to visit as a child.
This is what happens when you have architects in the family!
They create lovely living quarters

Me, 2nd cousin Jeremy whom I met for the first time in 20 years or so!
& Dad's cousins wife (my aunty) - unofficial historian of the Tan/Chen 陳 family

I did catch up with other relos, but we were blitzing it through it so forgot to take some photos :(

I'm going to include photos from Singapore airport now as I really didn't take that many photos in Singapore, and I need to make this page a bit more colourful!

Inside Singapore airport
Typical image @ one of worlds most busy transit airports!
Eating @ Singapore airport
Singapore sampler - small portions of Mee Siam, Laksa & Chicken Rice. YUM!

The beautiful orchids @ Singapore airport

Perhaps Singapore is not as boring as I used to think it was. As a tiny island country, it has certainly done well to promote itself on the world arena. Next time round I hope to spend more than 24 hours on this Island City. I've been to Singapore so many times yet I've never been to the Zoo, or a fancy Singaporean bar to enjoy a Singapore Sling, and I do want to check out the Marina Bay Sands building too, who doesn't want to see a rooftop infinity pool? And really how large is that rooftop park?

4 comments:

  1. My parents are staying at Marina Sands for a birthday celebration this month... very jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just realised you posted a comment...cuz i haven't checked my own blog for ages hehe. Your parents know how to party!! I'm jealous too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mel :) Unfortunately just didn't take enough in Singapore!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...