Saturday, November 20, 2010

4 Oct - 5 Oct | City of a Hundred Spires | Prague, Czech Republic

The magical lure of old-Bohemia draws millions of tourists each year to see these lands, often topping peoples ‘must see’ destination lists. The train ride from Vienna to Prague was another scenic, colourful and romantic one, which was in stark contrast to the flat and lacklustre countryside on the Vienna-Budapest journey. I will stress again that the beauty of rail travel is just witnessing the gorgeous scenery passing by, something that is lost in the modern age of air travel.


Prague Castle in a distance...

This was my second visit to Prague. Four years ago Prague left a good impression on me. A city where one can still imagine how Bohemian life may have been, old castles, churches and cobbled stone paths. Second time round I have to say, the glamour and magic had diminished slightly, so it was time to ‘discover’ Prague again by getting lost in those old cobble-street alleys (and thankfully, we did). Last time we took a guided tour of the city, this time we had our own itinerary. One cannot go to Prague and not revisit Prague Castle & Charles Bridge. So that is exactly what we did, both by day and by night.

Prague Castle & Charles Bridge
(if only I had a blue sky day!)

Charles Bridge is definitely the most densely populated touristy part of the city, but at least this time we were onlookers to a bridal photo-shoot. Behaving exactly as paparazzi tourists do, I made sure I captured a photo of the newlyweds. Once we passed Charles Bridge, we were onto giving ourselves a good workout by walking all the way up to Prague Castle. The parents may have complained the walk was too long and steep, but I think they were secretly proud of actually completing the walk to the top, as the views above were amazing! Perhaps a bit museum-ed out from the Vienna visit, we didn’t really check out the Prague Castle museum, preferring to wonder around the castle grounds and eventually walking down to the main town.

Photo shoot!! The crowds weren't moving for a while, this is why!
Entertainer on Charles Bridge
Exiting Charles Bridge



Old streets and buildings on the way to Prague Castle


A steep climb up
View of Prague City from the Castle! 
One side of St Vitus Church
This is the building everyone sees from a distance aka Prague Castle
Church spires
St Vitus Church
Mum & Me on the descent from Prague Castle
Back on street level. Tram & Castle in the same pic!

Did I see anything differently this time in Prague? I can’t really say I did, I just took more time to appreciate all the historical sites and 4 years later, I have a fancier camera to take better photos (even though we were still experiencing October grey skies!). I’m sure there is much more to see in this land of Bohemia, but it will have to a trip in the future. There were plans to check out jazz bars and classical concerts, but maybe it is just me, Prague just has a bit too many tourists now, then again, whose fault is that?

The types of photos I didn't get to take my last trip here:

I definitely didn't see Gloria Jeans last trip!
Marionette puppets as souvenirs

Prague bag anyone??
And some of my arty photo attempts:




And of course my favourite night shots!





 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...