Sunday, September 24, 2006

Day 3: I sat on a plane

San Francisco to Montreal

I literally didn't do anything on Day 3 but sit on a plane from San Francisco to Montreal or hang out at the airports! I got to San Francisco International Airport around 9am...which was a bit early for my 11am flight...but it gave me plenty of time to check myself in. The US are super strict with all their security issues. You have to take your shoes off before getting screened! They are very restrictive with liquids brought onto the plane. Even a family with a baby carrying milk or other liquids get checked heavily!

The plane trip from San Francisco to Montreal was very turbulent! I felt more tired on my 5 hour flight than the 12 hour flight from Auckland to SF!! (no joke!) The bad thing about travelling West to East is the time you lose - 2 hours for me!

Anyway getting myself from the Airport to the Hotel was an interesting experience. I thought about just being lazy and catching a cab from the airport to hotel...save myself time and problems in a foreign city where they speak predominantly French. But when I got out of the airport I couldn't see the taxi stand!! I was walking around like an idiot and just thought OK I'll catch the Shuttle Bus downtown (I really need to get my glasses prescription fixed cuz I could barely read the signs!)...I read in my travel guides earlier that this was a good option as the airport is quite far away and a taxi would be expensive. So I hopped on just when the shuttle was going off! I think it was a good 30-40 minutes getting downtown. I'm impressed with their shuttle bus system! When I got off at Central Station...there's another shuttle bus that takes you directly to the doorstep of your hotel! How good is that? All for C$13!! Perfect for the clueless traveller like me!

When I eventually arrived at the hotel...my Dad suggested a Chinese meal at Chinatown, only a 5 minute walk away. That option sounded great as I had spent the day before eating burger and fries!! Chinatown is quite big here too...obviously not to the scale of SF but big enough to find decent food and finally have some rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...